Black Bean and Corn Quesadillas
- 1 cup frozen whole kernel corn
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1 cup finely chopped red onion
- 3 cloves garlic pressed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 cup black beans drained and rinsed or homemade
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- sea salt to taste
- 6 8-inch whole wheat flour tortillas
- 2 cups shredded low fat Cheddar cheese
- 1 jalapeno pepper de-seeded and chopped (optional)
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat until hot (about 2 minutes); add corn and stir-fry until kernels begin to brown and pop, about 3 minutes. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Reduce skillet heat to medium and add 1 tablespoon of olive oil; add red onion, garlic, and chili powder; sauté until onion is soft. Stir in beans and heat through. Return corn to the skillet; toss to combine.
- Transfer mixture to a bowl; stir in lime juice and salt to taste. Wipe the skillet with paper towels and return to medium heat until hot. Brush a tortilla lightly with some of the remaining oil and cook in the skillet until softened and lightly browned.
- On half of the tortilla, sprinkle 1/3 cup of cheese, a big spoonful of bean mixture and some chopped jalapeno (if desired); fold over and allow cheese to melt then carefully turn and cook on the other side for about 1 minute.
- Remove from skillet and repeat with remaining tortillas. Cut quesadillas into wedges and serve.
NUTRITION per serving: 382 Calories; 9g Fat; 21g Protein; 56g Carbohydrate; 8g Dietary Fiber; 8mg Cholesterol; 659mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain (Starch); 1 1/2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1/2 Fat. Points: 10 SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve with sour cream, guacamole, salsa (your favorite); add a big salad on the side. To make guacamole smoosh up some avocado, toss with salt and pepper, lime juice, and chopped tomatoes to taste. VEGETARIAN: No changes necessary. KOSHER: No changes necessary. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure beans are gluten free and use gluten-free tortillas.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!