- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic pressed
- 4 1/2 cups coarsely chopped asparagus
- 3 cups egg substitute
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 3/4 cup shredded part-skim Mozzarella cheese
- 3 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Lemon wedges optional
- Heat the oil in a large skillet with a tight-fitting lid over medium-high heat; add onion, garlic, and asparagus and sauté until soft, stirring occasionally; remove from skillet and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, beat egg substitute then add cooked vegetables, chopped basil, cheese, bread crumbs, salt, and pepper.
- Add mixture to the skillet; cover and cook over medium heat, occasionally uncovering and gently lifting the sides of the frittata with a spatula to let the uncooked egg run under the cooked portion, to set.
- Continue cooking and lifting the sides until the center is nearly firm 4 to 5 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and remove the lid. Cover pan with a large round plate or pizza pan and carefully flip the pan and the plate over together.
- Remove pan from the plate and carefully slide the frittata back into the pan, uncooked side down.
- Cook until the bottom turns golden, 4 to 5 minutes. Slide frittata onto a serving platter. Serve immediately, garnished with lemon wedges if desired.
NUTRITION per serving: 238 Calories; 8g Fat; 25g Protein; 18g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 11mg Cholesterol; 504mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain (Starch); 2 1/2 Lean Meat; 2 Vegetable; 1 Fat. Points: 6 LC SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve a big green salad on the side. SERVING SUGGESTION: Add whole grain rolls and butter. KOSHER: No changes necessary. GLUTEN FREE: Use gluten-free breadcrumbs OR make your own using gluten-free bread.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!