Skillet Sausage Pasta
- 4 cups elbow macaroni uncooked
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds white mushrooms sliced
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper seeded, de-ribbed and chopped
- 6 ounces ground Italian sausage
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 14.5-oz. can diced tomatoes un-drained
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cups low fat cheddar cheese shredded
- Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet with a tight-fitting lid over medium-high heat until hot.
- Add mushrooms, onion and bell pepper; cook and stir until onions and mushrooms are nicely browned, about 10 minutes; remove from skillet.
- Add sausage to the skillet; using a fork to crumble the meat, stir-fry until browned, about 5 minutes.
- Drain fat and blot remaining grease with paper towels (this technique will save you a lot of fat grams NOT reflected in the nutritional info below).
- Return mushroom mixture to the skillet. Stir in tomatoes, tomato sauce, and cooked macaroni. Bring mixture to a boil then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Sprinkle with shredded Cheddar cheese; cover and simmer until cheese melts, about 5 minutes.
NUTRITION per serving: 376 Calories; 13g Fat; 20g Protein; 48g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 27mg Cholesterol; 918mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 Grain(Starch); 1 1/2 Lean Meat; 3 1/2 Vegetable; 1 1/2 Fat. Points: 10 SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve a big spinach salad on the side. VEGETARIAN: Skip the sausage OR use soy sausage instead of pork. KOSHER: Use kosher sausage, if your market carries it; otherwise, use soy sausage instead of pork. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure sausage, canned tomatoes, and tomato sauce are gluten-free. Use gluten-free pasta.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!