Barbecued Beef Kabobs
- 1 pound boneless beef sirloin steak
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1/2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons honey preferably local
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 medium bell peppers green, red or yellow, de-seeded, de-ribbed and cut into 1 1/4-inch piece
- 18 large white mushrooms
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 6 bamboo skewers or metal
- DO-AHEAD TIP: If using bamboo skewers, soak them in water for 30 minutes prior to using, to prevent burning.
- Preheat grill OR oven broiler. Trim all visible fat from beef and cut into 1 1/4-inch cube.
- In a large bowl, whisk together next 7 ingredients (lemon juice through pepper); add beef cubes, bell pepper pieces, and mushrooms; toss to coat.
- Alternately thread beef, bell pepper, and mushrooms onto skewers.
- If grilling, turn kabobs every 5 minutes till the desired level of doneness is achieved.
- If using oven broiler, place kabobs on the rack of a broiler pan and broil 3 to 4 inches from heat source for 9 to 12 minutes (for medium-rare to medium), turning occasionally.
- Season with salt and serve.
NUTRITION per serving: 188 Calories; 6g Fat; 18g Protein; 16g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 38mg Cholesterol; 165mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 2 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 0 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates. Points: 5 SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve over brown rice; add a big salad on the side. VEGETARIAN: Skip the beef and use chunks of zucchini, eggplant, and tomatoes. KOSHER: Make sure steak is certified kosher. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure mustard is gluten-free.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!