Asian Chicken Kabobs
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange peel
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1/2 cup club soda or use seltzer water
- 1/3 cup dry sherry
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 clove garlic pressed
- 1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast cut into 1-inch pieces
- 8 green onions chopped into 1 1/2-inch piece
- 12 bamboo skewers or metal
- DO-AHEAD TIP: If using bamboo skewers, soak them in water for 30 minutes prior to using (to prevent burning on the grill); marinate kabobs for 30 minutes.
- In a shallow dish, combine first 8 ingredients (orange peel through gingerroot).
- Remove 1/4 cup of this marinade and set aside. Alternately thread 3 chicken pieces and 2 onion pieces on each skewer and marinate these kabobs in the shallow dish for 30 minutes, turning once.
- Preheat outdoor or indoor grill or oven broiler. Remove kabobs from marinade, reserving marinade.
- Grill kabobs, turning once, for 5 to 8 minutes, or broil for 8 to 10 minutes, or till chicken is cooked through.
- For extra flavor, brush kabobs with reserved marinade during the first half of cooking time, then discard any remaining marinade.
- Serve kabobs with the reserved 1/4 cup of the marinade as a dipping sauce.
NUTRITION per serving: 208 Calories; 1g Fat; 28g Protein; 14g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 66mg Cholesterol; 690mg Sodium. Exchanges: 3 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates. Points: 4 LC SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve kabobs over Cauli-Rice (process cauliflower in a blender or food processor until it resembles grains of rice; steam “rice”; drain; salt and pepper to taste and fluff with a fork); add stir-fried OR grilled zucchini, yellow squash and snow peas on the side. SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve over brown rice instead of Cauli-Rice. KOSHER: No changes necessary. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure sherry and soy sauce are gluten-free.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!