Mexican Vegetarian Salad
- 2 large yellow summer squash quartered
- 5 cups torn spinach leaves
- 5 cups torn lettuce your choice (not Iceberg, no nutrition)
- 20 ounces garbanzo beans drained and rinsed
- 1 avocado pitted, peeled and diced
- 1/3 cup shredded low fat Cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/4 cup sliced black olives
- salad dressing your choice
- alfalfa sprouts for garnish
- In a large saucepan, cook squash in a small amount of boiling water for 15 minutes or until tender; rinse in cold water to cool and to stop the cooking process.
- In a large bowl, toss together squash, spinach, lettuce, garbanzo beans, avocado, cheese and olives. Top with salad dressing and alfalfa sprouts.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve cheese quesadillas on the side (think: grilled cheese sandwiches, but made with whole wheat flour tortillas instead of bread). VEGETARIAN: No changes necessary. KOSHER: No changes necessary. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure garbanzo beans, olives and salad dressing are gluten free. NUTRITION: Per Serving: 214 Calories; 8g Fat; 9g Protein; 30g Carbohydrate; 8g Dietary Fiber; 1mg Cholesterol; 399mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1 1/2 Fat. Points: 6
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!