- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic pressed
- 1 1/4 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- 2/3 cup chopped celery
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup water plus 2 tablespoons, divided
- 1/4 cup white wine or use white grape juice with a splash of cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1/2 tablespoons parsley chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- COOKING INSTRUCTIONS: Heat the oil in a 5-quart Dutch oven with a tight-fitting lid over medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic and sauté for 3 minutes or until onion begins to soften. Add chicken, carrots, celery, salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, whisk together 1 cup of water, the wine (or juice/vinegar) and the tomato paste until well blended; pour over chicken and vegetables. Bring mixture to a boil then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 50 minutes or until chicken and vegetables are tender.
- Transfer chicken and vegetables to a platter and cover and keep warm.
- In a small bowl, blend remaining water and cornstarch until smooth; stir into liquid in Dutch oven then bring to a boil and cook for 1 minute; add parsley and lemon peel.
- Spoon some of the sauce over the chicken and vegetables and serve with remaining sauce on the side.
LC SERVING SUGGESTION: Steamed broccoli and Faux-Tay-Toes (steam cauliflower till tender; drain; mash with butter, low fat cream cheese, salt and pepper till you get a mashed potatoes texture). SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve steamed red potatoes instead of Faux-Tay-toes. KOSHER: No changes necessary. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure wine (or juice/vinegar) and tomato paste are gluten free and use arrowroot starch instead of cornstarch. NUTRITION: per serving: 252 Calories; 5g Fat; 34g Protein; 13g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 82mg Cholesterol; 585mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 4 1/2 Lean Meat; 2 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; ½ Fat. Points: 6
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!