Vegan Mushroom Pho
- 2 large cinnamon sticks
- 1 teaspoon whole cloves
- 4 star anise
- 3 tablespoons avocado oil divided
- 1 large white onion sliced
- 1 large piece fresh ginger peeled and sliced, 4 to 5 inches
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 3 cups water
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 package rice noodles
- 2 cups sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 1 handful bean sprouts
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 handful cilantro chopped
- sprigs fresh mint
- 1 lime cut into wedges
- green onions thinly sliced, mostly green parts
- 1 large jalapeno pepper sliced
- Warm a large stock pot or Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add the cinnamon sticks, cloves, and star anise and toast until fragrant, stirring occasionally, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add 2 tablespoons of the oil, onion, ginger, vegetable stock, water, soy sauce, and hoisin. Raise the heat to high and bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium low and maintain a gentle simmer.
- Simmer for 30 minutes to give the flavors time to bond (turn down heat further if necessary - should not boil).
- While broth simmers, prepare your rice noodles according to packaging. Set them aside. Heat remaining oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and season lightly with salt. Cook until the mushrooms are tender and lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat, and set aside.
- Once the broth is done simmering, strain out spices, onion, and ginger. Season it to taste with salt and soy sauce until you achieve desired flavor.
- In large soup bowls, distribute cooked noodles. Ladle the broth into bowls and add cooked mushrooms, and then top with any of the garnishes! Serve right away!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!