Thai Coconut Carrot Soup
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 large piece ginger peeled and grated, 4 to 5 inches
- 1 stalk lemongrass trimmed, crushed and minced
- 1 medium red chili seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons red curry paste
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 1 28-oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 1 medium celery root peeled and chopped
- 4 large carrots peeled and chopped
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 14.5-oz. can full fat coconut milk
- 2 green onions sliced
- 1 handful cilantro chopped
- Heat coconut oil in a large stock pot over medium heat. Once oil is hot, add onion, garlic, ginger, lemongrass, and chili. Saute for 1 to 2 minutes or until onion is translucent and garlic is golden. Stir in curry paste, then add broth, tomatoes, celery root, carrots, and spices (salt through cayenne).
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes, or until carrots are tender.
- Transfer soup to a blender, and puree until smooth (this may take a few batches). After it’s all blended, return it to stock pot over medium heat.
- Stir in coconut milk and adjust spices as needed. Allow to simmer for 10 minutes, then serve with a garnish of green onions and cilantro.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!