Sweet and Sour Tofu
- 2 cups short grain white rice
Sweet and Sour Tofu:
- 3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 10 ounces firm tofu cubed
- 6 to 8 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 tablespoons avocado oil divided
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 small yellow onion halved and sliced
- 1 cup sugar snap peas
- 1 small red bell pepper seeded and sliced
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
Sweet and Sour Sauce:
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 medium piece ginger peeled and grated, about 3 inches
- 1 to 2 teaspoons chili paste (more for spicy less for mild)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 small orange juiced
- 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- 6 tbsp water 100 ml
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- Prepare rice according to packaging.
- Combine soy sauce and vinegar in a bowl, whisk together well and then add the tofu cubes and let rest for at least 20 minutes or up to 2 hours.
- Strain the tofu from marinade. In a large bowl, add cornstarch (starting with 6 tablespoons). Add some of the tofu, be care not to over crowd it, and gently toss in cornstarch until fully covered, then set aside. Repeat this step with the rest of the tofu and add more cornstarch if needed.
- Once all tofu pieces are coated, heat 2 tablespoons avocado oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Once oil is hot, cook the tofu cubes until all sides are golden brown, about 1 to 2 minutes per side. Remove tofu from pan and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients for sauce (coconut sugar through cornstarch). Whisk together thoroughly and set aside.
- In the same skillet used for tofu, heat remaining oil over medium high heat. Add carrots, onion, snap peas, and bell pepper. Saute the veggies for about 2 minutes, then add in broth to prevent them from sticking to bottom of the pan.
- Continue to cook and stir until all broth evaporates (about 2 to 3 minutes) and then stir in the sauce. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until sauce thickens and veggies are tender.
- Before serving, stir in tofu gently, then serve over rice.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!