Red Pepper Tomato Bisque
- 2 red bell pepper seeded and halved
- 6 medium vine-ripened tomatoes trimmed
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil divided
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup full fat coconut milk
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- Preheat broiler.
- In a large bowl, combine bell pepper, tomatoes, 3 tablespoons of olive oil, and garlic. Toss together thoroughly and transfer to a baking sheet. Place under broiler for 8 to 10 minutes or until slightly charred and blistered. Remove and let cool.
- In a large dutch oven or stock pot, heat remaining oil over medium high heat. Add onion and saute for 3 to 4 minutes or until translucent. Then add vegetable broth, spices (oregano through pepper) and broiled veggies (red peppers, tomatoes, and garlic). Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to low and allow to simmer for 20 minutes.
- Transfer soup to a blender, and blend until smooth. Pour back into pot once blended, and place over medium low heat. Stir in coconut milk and nutritional yeast. Taste to see if spices needed adjusting. Simmer until heated through, about 10 minutes, then serve!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!