Israeli Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- 4 large sweet potatoes
- 1 14.5-oz. can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1 14.5-oz. can diced tomatoes drained
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 2 medium lemons juiced
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup tahini
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 large lemon juiced
- sea salt
- cold water
- 1 handful chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Preheat oven to 450F. Pierce potatoes with a knife several times. Bake for about 50 minutes, or until soft throughout.
- While the potatoes are baking, prepare the filling.
- Combine all filling ingredients in a medium pot over medium heat. Leave on stove until heated through, about 10 to 15 minutes. Taste to adjust salt as needed.
- To make the tahini sauce: Combine all ingredients EXCEPT water. Slowly add water until it reaches desired consistency (should be thin enough to drizzle). Taste to adjust salt as needed.
- Remove potatoes from oven and let sit for 10 to 15 minutes. Slice potatoes in half, stopping about 3/4 through so you don’t cut all the way through. Gently mash the center of each potato with a fork.
- Then stuff the baked sweet potatoes with chickpea mixture, and garnish with tahini sauce and parsley.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!