Asparagus Tahini Soup
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 lb. asparagus spears woody ends trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 small celery root peeled and diced
- 1 large lemon juiced
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- black sesame seeds
- Heat oil in a large stock pot over medium high heat. After oil is hot, add onion and garlic, stir and cook for 2-3 minutes, until garlic is golden and onion is soft and translucent.
- Add the asparagus to the pot and cook for 2 minutes. Add the broth and celery root. Bring soup to a boil, then turn heat down to low and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until asparagus and celery root are fork tender.
- Transfer soup into a blender, add the tahini, lemon juice, cumin, coriander, and salt and pepper.
- Blend until smooth and creamy. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Return the soup back to the stock pot and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Serve and garnish with sesame seeds.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!