Creamy Coconut Chana Masala
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 4 tablespoons avocado oil
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 1 large yellow onion diced
- 1 large jalapeno pepper seeded and minced
- 1 3-inch piece ginger peeled and grated
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 28-oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 2 14.5-oz. cans chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 14.5-oz. can full fat coconut milk 14.5 ounce
- 1 small bunch cilantro chopped
- Prepare basmati rice according to packaging.
- While rice cooks, begin making Chana Masala.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add garlic and onion, cook for about 2 minutes, then add in jalapeno, ginger, tomato paste, and spices (salt through cinnamon).
- Stir and cook until it becomes a thick paste, and when it’s very fragrant, add in tomatoes. Stir to combine, then add in the chickpeas. Start with 3 cups of vegetable broth, if the consistency is still too thick, add more broth until it reaches desired consistency.
- Turn heat to low and allow mixture to simmer for 15 minutes.
- Once rice is done and the chana masala is finished simmering, stir in the coconut milk. Taste before serving and adjust salt as necessary.
- Remove chana masala from heat, serve over a bed of basmati rice and garnish with a handful of chopped cilantro
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!