Wild Rice Medley
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 onions chopped
- 6 ribs celery chopped
- 3 cloves garlic pressed
- 3/4 cup wild rice
- 3/4 cup brown rice
- 12 ounces mushrooms sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup dried apricot halves
- 6 tablespoons fruit chutney try spicy mango!
- In a skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and celery and cook about 5 minutes until soft. Add garlic and rice stirring until well mixed. Add mushrooms, salt and pepper. Add broth and balsamic vinegar and bring to a boil. Transfer to crock pot. Stir in apricots.
- Cover and cook on low for 7 to 8 hours or on high for 4 hours, till rice is tender and liquid has been absorbed. Serve with your favorite fruit chutney – spicy mango is yummy with this dish.
- Per Serving: 332 Calories; 5g Fat; 13g Protein; 63g Carbohydrate; 7g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 305mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 Grain (Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 1 1/2 Fruit; 1 Fat.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve with corn on the cob, sautéed sugar snap peas with halved grape tomatoes (I like to sauté mine in olive oil with fresh pressed garlic, salting and peppering to taste)
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!