- 1 dried green chili
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 onions chopped
- 2 cloves garlic pressed
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 16-oz. can pinto beans rinsed and drained
- 1 28-oz. can diced tomatoes
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 4.5-oz. can green chili peppers drained and chopped
- 2 cups frozen corn thawed
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil for brushing the tortilla strips
- 3 inch corn tortillas cut into 1/2strips
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 inch avocados cut into 1/2cubes
- 1 cup red onion finely chopped
- 1 bunch cilantro finely chopped
- In a heatproof bowl, soak chili pepper in boiling water for 30 minutes. Drain and discard stems and water. Set aside.
- In a skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and cook till soft, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, cumin, chili powder, lime zest, salt, pepper, and reserved chili and cook for an additional minute. Transfer mixture to the food processor along with beans and 1 cup tomato liquid and process till smooth.
- Transfer processed mixture to a slow cooker. Add the remaining tomatoes and broth, mixing well. Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours or high for 3 to 4 hours. Stir in green mild chilies and corn. Cover and cook on high for another 15 to 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400 F degrees. Brush tortilla strips with oil, place on the cookie sheet and bake for 4 minutes on each side, till crispy.
- To serve, ladle soup into bowls and top with tortilla strips, avocado, red onion, sour cream, and cilantro.
Per Serving: 630 Calories; 40g Fat; 23g Protein; 53g Carbohydrate; 13g Dietary Fiber; 17mg Cholesterol; 1158mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 Grain (Starch); 1 1/2 Lean Meat; 2 1/2 Vegetable; 1/2 Fruit; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 8 Fat. SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve with a big spinach salad, corn muffins and honey butter.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!