Tempeh and Green Bean Stir-Fry
- 1 1/2 pounds green beans washed, trimmed and cut in half
- 1 1/2 8.oz. packages tempeh sliced in half lengthwise and then into thin strips across the width
- 1 1/2 14.5-oz. cans stewed tomatoes
- 3 medium onions chopped
- 4 cloves garlic pressed
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red bell pepper
- 2 1/4 teaspoons cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup water
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 cups brown rice cooked
- In a skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium-high heat. Add tempeh putting in just enough to cover the bottom of the pan. Cook until lightly browned turning over to cook other side. Drain on paper towels to degrease.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat. Sauté the onions and garlic for 2 to 3 minutes until translucent. Add the spices and cook for another 2 minutes. Add the green beans, tempeh, stewed tomatoes, and water; mix well. Cover, turning heat down to low and cook for another 5 to 10 minutes depending on how crunchy you like your beans. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve over rice.
- Per Serving: 496 Calories; 15g Fat; 19g Protein; 75g Carbohydrate; 9g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 42mg Sodium. Exchanges: 3 1/2 Grain (Starch); 1 1/2 Lean Meat; 3 1/2 Vegetable; 2 Fat
SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve with a big green salad. That’s all you need!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!