Sunny Summer Salad
- 4 tangerines divided
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1 1/2 cups canned chickpeas rinsed and drained, Garbanzo beans
- 3 green onions sliced
- 1 large carrot shredded
- 1/3 cup walnut pieces toasted
- DO AHEAD TIP: Chill Sunny Summer Salad for about 30 minutes before serving if desired.
- Zest one of your tangerines into a mixing bowl. Be careful to only use the orange part of the peel as the white part (the pith) is bitter.
- Into the same mixing bowl, squeeze in all the juice from zested tangerine. Whisk in the lemon juice and then slowly add the oil. When the oil is mixed in, whisk in the mustard, salt, pepper and thyme.
- Section remaining tangerines and add them along with chickpeas, green onions, carrot and walnuts; toss to coat and serve.
- Chill salad for about 30 minutes before serving if desired.
Per Serving: 228 Calories; 14g Fat; 5g Protein; 23g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 188mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain (Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 1/2 Fruit; 2 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve with a nice big relish plate of grape tomatoes, baby carrots, cut up celery, broccoli and cauliflower florets, and an easy dip made with half sour cream, half mayo and horseradish to taste.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!