Spaghetti with Rice ‘n Grain Balls
- 12 ounces spaghetti
- 1 28-oz. jar spaghetti sauce your favorite
- 3 ounces yellow corn meal
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup nonfat dry milk
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup brown rice cooked
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons onion finely minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 F degrees. Grease a cookie sheet.
- In a large bowl, combine corn meal, flour, dry milk, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Mix well. Stir in rice.
- In a small bowl, combine tomato sauce, water, onion and oil. Add to rice mixture, mixing well till all ingredients are moistened.
- On a greased cookie sheet, place 24 walnut sized balls formed from the mixture. Bake 20 minutes till lightly browned.
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions; drain and keep warm. In a large saucepan, warm up spaghetti sauce. Combine sauce and rice balls and serve over spaghetti. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
Per Serving: 620 Calories; 16g Fat; 24g Protein; 95g Carbohydrate; 9g Dietary Fiber; 17mg Cholesterol; 1194mg Sodium. Exchanges: 4 1/2 Grain (Starch); 1 Lean Meat; 4 1/2 Vegetable; 1/2 Non-Fat Milk; 2 1/2 Fat SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve with a big spinach salad—that’s really all you need!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!