Southwestern Black Beans
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 1 28-oz. can black beans
- 1 teaspoon chopped chipotle chili peppers in adobo sauce chopped
- 2 large tomatoes diced
- 4 sprigs cilantro chopped
- salt to taste
- 2 1/4 cups frozen corn kernels (or you can use fresh about 3 ears)
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat; add onion and cook till translucent.
- Add the beans, chili, tomatoes, and cilantro; lower the heat and simmer 15 –30 minutes.
- In the last 10 minutes, add the corn kernels. Salt to taste. If too dry, add up to 1 cup of water.
Per Serving: 249 Calories; 4g Fat; 14g Protein; 43g Carbohydrate; 13g Dietary Fiber; trace Cholesterol; 17mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 1/2 Grain (Starch); 1 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 1/2 Fat. SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve with brown rice, shredded jack and cheddar cheeses, and chopped cilantro. Don’t forget to add a big green salad!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!