Quinoa and Beans
- 1 1/2 cups quinoa uncooked
- 3 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large red bell pepper cored, deseeded, and sliced
- 1 large green bell pepper cored, deseeded, and sliced
- 1 large onion coarsely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic pressed
- 3/4 cup cilantro stems and leaves, chopped
- 2 14-oz. cans black-eyed peas rinsed and drained
- Salt and pepper
- DO AHEAD TIP: Make quinoa for tomorrow night’s meal.
- In a large saucepan, cook the quinoa in the vegetable broth seasoned with cumin and cayenne pepper; bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer, cover and cook 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add red and green bell peppers, onion, and garlic. Cook, stirring often for 5 minutes or till veggies are soft.
- Add sautéed veggie mixture to cooked quinoa. Stir in black-eyed peas and cilantro. Season with salt and pepper. Simmer for about 5 minutes till heated through.
Per Serving: 720 Calories; 11g Fat; 44g Protein; 116g Carbohydrate; 20g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 299mg Sodium. Exchanges: 7 1/2 Grain (Starch); 3 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 2 Fat. SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve with some coleslaw and cornbread.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!