Orzo Corn Filled Tomatoes
- 3 quarts water
- 4 ounces orzo
- 3 strips lemon zest
- 2 cups frozen corn kernels thawed
- 1 cup diced Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 green onions sliced
- 2/3 cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup apple juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 6 large tomatoes
- In a large saucepan, bring the water to a boil. Add the orzo and lemon zest and cook for 8 minutes or till orzo is tender, but still firm to bite. Drain. Rinse with cold water and drain again. Discard the lemon zest.
- In a large bowl, combine the orzo, corn, cheese, green onions, celery, basil, apple juice, lemon juice, oil, salt and pepper. To prepare the tomatoes, if necessary, trim the bottoms off the tomatoes so they will sit upright. Cut off the tops and remove the core. Dice the tomato trimmings and add them to the orzo salad (except the inedible green stem). Scoop out the tomato pulp and discard. Invert the tomatoes onto a plate lined with paper towels to let them drain.
- Fill each tomato with about 1/2 cup of the orzo salad. To serve, place stuffed tomato on a plate and add about 1 cup of orzo salad around the base of tomato. Serve cold or at room temperature.
Per Serving: 258 Calories; 11g Fat; 10g Protein; 32g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 17mg Cholesterol; 139mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain (Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1 1/2 Fat. SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve with a big spinach salad. Add sliced strawberries, thinly sliced red onion and toss together with a poppy seed dressing (you can make or purchase).
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!