- 1 1/4 cups farfalle or bowtie pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large red onion chopped
- 10 Roma tomatoes seeded and diced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 1/2 cups green lentils cooked
- 2 cups brown rice cooked
- 1/2 cup water
- 7 tablespoons butter
- 3 1/2 tablespoons mint leaves chopped
- DO AHEAD TIP: Prepare lentils and rice for tomorrow night’s meal. Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- In a skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat and sauté the onion, stirring occasionally, until well browned, about 12 to 15 minutes. Add tomatoes and season with salt and pepper; remove onions and tomatoes from the skillet to a serving platter and set aside.
- In the same skillet, heat the lentils, rice, and pasta with 1/2 cup of water. Season with salt and pepper and return tomatoes and onion to the pan. Turn the heat down to low and allow all ingredients to simmer and warm through.
- In a small saucepan, heat the butter over medium-high heat. Add the mint leaves and cook for 30 seconds. Grind in fresh pepper. Pour the mint butter over the lentil mixture and serve.
Per Serving: 473 Calories; 21g Fat; 14g Protein; 60g Carbohydrate; 11g Dietary Fiber; 36mg Cholesterol; 161mg Sodium. Exchanges: 3 Grain (Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 2 1/2 Vegetable; 4 Fat. SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve with a big green salad and a bowl of baby carrots for the table.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!