Mediterranean Orzo Salad
- 2 1/4 cups orzo
- 2 medium zucchini quartered lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 15 Kalamata olives pitted and sliced
- 6 green onions thinly sliced
- 2 stalks celery thinly sliced
- 1 large tomato seeded and cubed
- 1 1/2 green bell pepper seeded, deribbed and chopped
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 4 cloves garlic pressed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh dill minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 6 ounces feta cheese crumbled
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- DO AHEAD TIP: Make salad ahead of time and chill for at least two hours.
- Prepare orzo according to package directions; Drain and rinse under cold water. Drain again very thoroughly. Place in a large bowl.
- Stir in the zucchini, olives, green onions, celery, tomato, and green bell pepper.
- In a small bowl, beat together the olive oil, vinegar, garlic, oregano, dill, salt and pepper. Pour over the salad and toss to coat well. Sprinkle on the feta cheese and toss again. Add the mayonnaise and toss gently. Chill at least for 2 hours and bring to room temperature before serving.
- Per Serving: 575 Calories; 34g Fat; 14g Protein; 57g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 28mg Cholesterol; 528mg Sodium. Exchanges: 3 Grain (Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 5 1/2 Fat.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve with a simple caprese salad: sliced ripe tomatoes, layered with fresh basil leaves, sliced mozzarella and drizzled with extra virgin olive oil. Fresh ground pepper over the top finishes it beautifully.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!