Magnificent Mushroom Cheeseburgers
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour plus 1 tablespoon whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup wheat germ plus 1 tablespoon wheat germ
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 6 egg whites
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 3 cups mushrooms chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 6 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 whole wheat hamburger buns
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, wheat germ, baking powder, and spices. Mix well.
- In another bowl, combine egg whites, onions and mushrooms. Add to dry mixture, mixing till all ingredients are moistened.
- Shape into 6 patties, wetting hands if necessary to prevent sticking.
- In a skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add patties and cook till nicely browned on each side. Top with cheese and heat till cheese is melted. Serve on hamburger buns.
Per Serving: 364 Calories; 15g Fat; 19g Protein; 39g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 30mg Cholesterol; 536mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 1/2 Grain (Starch); 1 1/2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates. SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve with coleslaw, oven fries (see recipe) and condiments for your burger—mayo, mustard, ketchup, relish, onion, lettuce, and sliced tomato.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!