Lentil Sloppy Joes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 4 stalks celery chopped
- 6 cloves garlic pressed
- 3/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons mustard
- 3 cups lentils cooked
- 6 whole grain hamburger buns toasted
- DO AHEAD TIP: Cook lentils for tomorrow night’s meal.
- In a skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and celery and cook, stirring often, till soft, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, basil, thyme, salt and pepper and cook, stirring for about 1 minute. Stir in ketchup, water, balsamic vinegar, brown sugar, and mustard. Transfer to slow cooker. Add lentils and mix well.
- Cover and cook on low for 4 hours or on high for 2 hours or till hot and bubbly. Ladle over hot toasted buns.
Per Serving: 549 Calories; 8g Fat; 32g Protein; 92g Carbohydrate; 32g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 691mg Sodium. Exchanges: 5 Grain (Starch); 2 1/2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1 1/2 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve with coleslaw and corn muffins and honey butter.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!