Italian Cabbage Soup
- 2 15.5-oz. cans cannellini beans cooked, rinsed and divided (or use white beans), divided
- 4 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 1/2 medium head Savoy cabbage shredded (this is a bit milder but can substitute green cabbage if Savoy is unavailable)
- 3 cloves garlic pressed
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 5 1/4 cups vegetable broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 6 slices whole wheat country bread cut 1/2” thick (use a loaf of whole wheat bread)
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese or Romano cheese
- In a small bowl, mash 1 1/2 cups of beans.
- In a soup pot, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, till onions are soft, about 3 minutes. Add cabbage, garlic and oregano; cook, stirring often till the cabbage has wilted, about 3 minutes. Add broth, mashed beans, and whole beans; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and partially cover, simmering till cabbage is soft, 10 to 12 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Shortly before soup is ready, toast bread. Place a slice of bread in each soup bowl. Ladle soup over bread and sprinkle with cheese. Drizzle 1 teaspoon oil over each serving.
Per Serving: 587 Calories; 18g Fat; 30g Protein; 80g Carbohydrate; 16g Dietary Fiber; 13mg Cholesterol; 1832mg Sodium. Exchanges: 5 Grain (Starch); 2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 3 Fat. SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve with carrot slaw (grated carrots, raisins, walnuts and mayo mixed together to desired moistness. I like a lot of walnuts and carrots!) and remaining bread with some butter.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!