Grilled Vegetable Salad
- 1 14-oz. package firm tofu drained
- 3/4 cup Italian salad dressing divided
- 6 yellow squash
- 2 large green bell pepper seeded, deribbed and chopped
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1/2 cup barley quick cooking
- 1/2 cup spinach leaves shredded
- DO AHEAD TIP: Marinate tofu and vegetables for tomorrow night’s dinner.
- Cut tofu lengthwise into 8 slices, about 1/2 inch thick. In a shallow baking dish, pour 1/4 cup of the dressing over the tofu.
- In a large, zipper-topped, plastic bag, add the vegetables and pour 3 tablespoons of the remaining dressing over the vegetables. Close bag and gently shake to evenly coat the veggies. Chill tofu and veggies for 4 to 24 hours. Cover and refrigerate remaining dressing.
- Remove tofu from dressing, discarding dressing. Drain vegetables, reserving dressing. Grill vegetables over medium heat for about 6 to 8 minutes. Grill tofu over medium heat for about 4 to 6 minutes, turning once or until lightly browned. Remove tofu from grill and cut into triangles. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the cooked squash and peppers. Add reserved dressing. Toss to coat and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a 2 quart saucepan, bring 2 cups water to a boil. Place quinoa in a fine sieve and rinse under running water. Add quinoa and barley to the pan. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 15 minutes or until water is almost absorbed and grains are tender. Drain.
- In a large bowl, gently toss grains with shredded spinach and remaining chilled dressing. Serve grain mixture with vegetables and tofu.
- Per Serving: 346 Calories; 19g Fat; 12g Protein; 36g Carbohydrate; 7g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 248mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain (Starch); 1 1/2 Lean Meat; 2 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 3 1/2 Fat.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve with quesadillas and an avocado salad (sliced avocado, chopped red onion and cilantro and a touch of Italian dressing).
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!