Grilled Cheese with Avocado and Sun Dried Tomatoes
- 12 slices whole grain bread
- 3 tablespoons butter at room temperature
- 1 in ripe avocado cuthalf, pitted, peeled and each half cut into 6 slices
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 tablespoons sun-dried tomatoes oil-packed, drained and sliced
- DO AHEAD TIP: If you’re following the Serving Suggestion for tomorrow night’s dinner, make the Simple Gazpacho so it can be well chilled. Butter one side of each slice of bread. Preheat a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat.
- Place 3 tablespoons of cheese on six of the unbuttered sides of bread. Add 2 teaspoons of sun dried tomato slices. Arrange 2 slices of avocado on top of the tomato slices. Sprinkle on another 2 teaspoons of cheese. Top each with a slice of bread, butter side up.
- In the heated skillet, add the sandwiches and cook for 5 to 7 minutes per side or until toasted and golden with the cheese melted.
Per Serving: 473 Calories; 28g Fat; 18g Protein; 43g Carbohydrate; 7g Dietary Fiber; 55mg Cholesterol; 750mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 1/2 Grain (Starch); 1 1/2 Lean Meat; 0 Fruit; 4 1/2 Fat. SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve with a simple gazpacho: dice 3 large ripe tomatoes, 1 small onion, 1 small cucumber, salt and pepper to taste. Now add enough of your favorite jarred salsa (I use a chipotle salsa that’s wonderful) to “soup” it up. Chill for a few hours or overnight. Stir before serving.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!