Crunchy Lentil Salad
- 1 1/2 cup lentils rinsed
- 7 1/2 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 ribs celery finely chopped
- 2 carrots finely chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic pressed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium saucepan, combine the lentils, water and bay leaf. Bring to a boil and cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for about 15 minutes or till the lentils are tender, but still crunchy. Drain well, discarding the bay leaf. Let set for about 5 minutes to make sure all the water disappears.
- In a serving bowl, combine the lentils, celery, carrots, onion and parsley, gently stirring.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, marjoram, cumin, salt and pepper. Pour over the lentil mixture and carefully toss. Serve at room temperature.
Per Serving: 344 Calories; 19g Fat; 14g Protein; 33g Carbohydrate; 16g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 36mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 Grain (Starch); 1 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 3 1/2 Fat. SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve with open faced melted pitas. Open a whole grain pita bread, spread a shredded cheese blend (I like cheddar and jack), and broil in the broiler.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!