Couscous with Verdant Veggies
- 1 lemon
- 5 tablespoons olive oil divided
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups arugula gently packed
- 1/2 medium cucumber halved lengthwise and sliced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cups couscous
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts toasted
- In a medium bowl, squeeze the juice from one lemon. Whisk in 4 tablespoons of oil on a slow, steady stream until well blended. Add salt and pepper to taste. Stir in arugula, cucumber, and mint. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, bring the broth to a boil. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon of oil over medium heat. Stir in the couscous making sure the oil coats it. Add the hot broth and salt to taste. Allow the mixture to come to a vigorous simmer, stirring frequently. Remove from heat, cover, and let stand till the liquid is absorbed, about 8 minutes. Fluff with a fork and then add the arugula mixture. Cover and let stand until the arugula wilts, about 2-3 minutes. Serve sprinkled with pine nuts.
Per Serving: 311 Calories; 14g Fat; 11g Protein; 37g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 180mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 Grain (Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 2 1/2 Fat. SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve with a berry-peach fruit salad. To make, put fresh berries (strawberries, raspberries, blueberries) and diced fresh peaches in individual bowls, gently toss together and top with a dollop of vanilla yogurt.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!