Cashew Lentil Loaf
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 2 cloves garlic pressed
- 1 red bell pepper seeded, deribbed and chopped
- 1/2 green chili pepper diced
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups lentils cooked
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 cup coarsely chopped cashews
- 3 eggs beaten
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and celery and cook, stirring, till celery softens, about 5 minutes. Add carrots, garlic, red bell pepper, chili pepper, caraway seeds, salt and pepper and cook for about 2 minutes, stirring often. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine lentils, cheese and cashews. Add the carrot mixture and stir well. Add eggs and mix till well blended. Spoon into greased loaf pan or casserole dish (it needs to fit into your slow cooker) and cover tightly with aluminum foil.
- Place in slow cooker and pour enough boiling water to come 1 inch up the sides. Cover and cook on high for 4 to 5 hours till set.
Per Serving: 525 Calories; 34g Fat; 28g Protein; 29g Carbohydrate; 9g Dietary Fiber; 165mg Cholesterol; 419mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain (Starch); 3 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 5 Fat. SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve with good old fashioned mashed potatoes, steamed broccoli and steamed baby carrots
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!