Beety Barley Pilaf
DO AHEAD TIP: Cook lentils for tomorrow night’s meal
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 2 cups pearl barley
- 1 jar pickled beets finely chopped, reserve juice, 1 pound
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 bunch watercress stems removed
- 1/4 cup fresh dill snipped
- 1 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- n a medium saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté till translucent. Stir in the barley, beet juice (not the beets!), broth, sugar, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Lower the heat, cover, and simmer for 25 minutes till the barley is just tender.
- Stir in the beets and mustard; cover and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the watercress, dill and yogurt. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes so the watercress can wilt.
Per Serving: 444 Calories; 6g Fat; 14g Protein; 87g Carbohydrate; 14g Dietary Fiber; 2mg Cholesterol; 1332mg Sodium. Exchanges: 5 1/2 Grain (Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve pilaf with a big spinach salad and some whole grain rolls.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!