- 3 15-oz. cans red kidney beans canned, drained and rinsed
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon sage
- 1/4 cup onions finely chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, combine the beans, egg, bread crumbs, ketchup, garlic powder, oregano, thyme, sage, and onions. Using a fork or potato masher, mash until most of the beans are squished (or process in food processor using the on/off option). With wet hands, shape the mixture into six 1/2 inch patties.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the patties and cook for 3 to 4 minutes on each side, or until browned and crispy. Salt and pepper to taste.
Per Serving: 239 Calories; 2g Fat; 14g Protein; 43g Carbohydrate; 14g Dietary Fiber; 36mg Cholesterol; 1061mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 1/2 Grain (Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates. SERVING SUGGESTION: To make Cheesy Beanburgers, after cooking keep in the skillet and reduce the heat to low. Top each patty with cheese. Cover and cook for 1 to 2 minutes till the cheese melts. Add a delicious potato salad and the usual fixin’s for burgers, like lettuce, tomato, sliced onion, mustard, ketchup and mayo. Enjoy!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!