Barbecued Lima Beans
- 1 pound dried lima beans
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups onions chopped
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 8 drops Tabasco sauce
- 1/3 cup dark corn syrup
- 1 14.5-oz. can low sodium vegetable broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- DO AHEAD TIP: Soak lima beans overnight for tomorrow’s dinner.
- In a large saucepan, soak washed beans in water overnight. Do not drain.
- Add onion to beans and bring to a boil. Simmer 30 to 60 minutes or until beans are beginning to get tender. Drain beans.
- Combine all ingredients in slow cooker. Mix well. Pour in vegetable broth to cover beans. If you need more liquid, add water until beans are barely covered.
- Cover. Cook on low 10 hours or high 4 to 6 hours, stirring occasionally.
Per Serving: 402 Calories; 1g Fat; 20g Protein; 83g Carbohydrate; 16g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 427mg Sodium. Exchanges: 3 Grain (Starch); 1 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 2 Other Carbohydrates. SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve with coleslaw and cornbread for a hearty meal.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!