Another Nutty Lentil Loaf
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 2 cloves garlic pressed
- 1 red bell pepper seeded, deribbed and diced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 cups cooked brown lentils drained and rinsed
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup coarsely chopped cashews
- 3 eggs beaten
- DO AHEAD TIP: Cook lentils for tomorrow night’s meal.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and celery and cook until celery softens, about 5 minutes. Add carrots, bell pepper, garlic and cumin and stir for another 2 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine lentils, cheese and cashews. Add veggies from skillet and stir well. Add eggs and mix until blended. Salt and pepper to taste. Spoon into greased casserole dish that will fit in your slow cooker and cover tightly with foil.
- Place in slow cooker and add enough boiling water to come 1 inch up the sides. Cover and cook on high for 4-5 hours, until loaf has set.
Per Serving: 524 Calories; 35g Fat; 28g Protein; 29g Carbohydrate; 9g Dietary Fiber; 165mg Cholesterol; 420mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain (Starch); 3 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 5 Fat. SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve with stuffed broiled tomatoes (cut tomatoes in half so they stand up well, stuff with cheese and bread crumbs (half shredded cheese, half seasoned bread crumbs), top with more bread crumbs and broil till tops are browned. Add some steamed broccoli for a colorful meal.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!