Grilled Pork and Apple Kabobs
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 4 cloves garlic halved
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 pounds boneless pork chops cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 green apples cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 large red onion cut into 1-inch chunks
- bamboo skewers OR metal skewers
- DO-AHEAD TIP: Marinate pork for at least 1 hour or up to 24 hours (see recipe). If using bamboo skewers, soak them in water for 30 minutes before use, to prevent burning. In a large zipper-topped plastic bag, combine first 6 ingredients (vinegar through pepper); seal bag and shake to combine well.
- Open bag and add pork; seal bag and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 24 hours. Remove pork from marinade and place the marinade, minus the garlic, in a small saucepan; bring to a boil and cook until slightly thickened and reduced by half, 5 to 7 minutes; remove from heat and set aside.
- Preheat indoor or outdoor grill to HIGH. Alternately thread pork cubes, apple chunks and red onion chunks onto skewers; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Grill kabobs for 4 minutes then turn them a quarter of the way around and grill for another 4 minutes. Grill remaining two sides for 4 minutes per side, for a total grilling time of 16 minutes.
- Drizzle with reserved marinade.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Baked sweet potatoes and steamed broccoli spears. VEGETARIAN: Use extra-firm tofu. KOSHER: Use boneless skinless chicken thighs instead of pork. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure balsamic vinegar is gluten free. NUTRITION: per serving: 305 Calories; 10g Fat; 28g Protein; 26g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 68mg Cholesterol; 93mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 4 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 1/2 Fruit; 1/2 Fat; 1 Other Carbohydrates. Points: 8
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!