Crock Cabbage Rolls
- 1 head cabbage
- 1 1/2 pounds 95% lean ground beef
- 1 cup brown rice cooked
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 1 egg slightly beaten
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 12 ounces low sodium V-8 vegetable juice
- 1 14.5-oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- Wooden toothpicks
- DO-AHEAD TIP: Prepare cabbage (see recipe) and cook rice. If you haven't already prepared the cabbage, carefully remove the leaves from the head, trying to keep them whole. Scald them in boiling water till just wilted then drain them on paper towels to cool; set aside.
- Chop any remaining cabbage and place it on the bottom of a slow cooker. In a large bowl, combine meat, rice, onion, egg, salt and pepper; blend well. Place about 1/4 cup of meat mixture in the center of each cabbage leaf; fold edges to the inside and roll ends over meat mixture; secure each roll with a toothpick. Place rolls evenly on top of the chopped cabbage in the slow cooker.
- In a medium bowl, combine vegetable juice, tomatoes, thyme, salt and pepper; pour over cabbage rolls.
- Cover and cook on for LOW 7 to 9 hours.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve cabbage rolls topped with a dollop of sour cream; add a big salad and some dark rye bread and butter on the side. VEGETARIAN: Use TVP crumbles instead of ground beef. KOSHER: Make sure ground beef is certified kosher. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure vegetable juice and tomatoes are gluten free. NUTRITION: per serving: 494 Calories; 5g Fat; 18g Protein; 39g Carbohydrate; 7g Dietary Fiber; 66mg Cholesterol; 129mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 3 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fat. Points: 7
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!