Tropical Fried Plantains
- 2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil divided
- 2 large green plantains chopped into 1/2-inch slices
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup coconut butter
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- On prepared baking sheet place coconut and toast for 5 to 8 minutes, or until slightly browned.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat 2 tablespoons coconut oil, add plantain slices and cook for 8 to 10 minutes per side, or until lightly browned and slightly softened. Remove from skillet, place on a paper towel lined plate, set aside and keep warm.
- In a small pot on medium-low heat, add next 3 ingredients (sea salt through orange zest), along with the remaining coconut oil and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, or until well combined.
- In a large bowl, add cooked plantains and pour coconut butter mixture on top. Toss to coat evenly, add toasted coconut and toss again to coat evenly. Serve immediately.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!