Very Veggie Chili
- 3 cups cooked couscous
- 2 cloves garlic pressed
- 3/4 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper de-seeded, de-ribbed and chopped
- 1 medium carrot thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh tomatoes
- 1 16-oz. can tomato sauce
- 30 ounces red kidney beans drained and rinsed or homemade
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- sea salt to taste
- onion minced for optional garnish
- low fat cheddar cheese shredded for optional garnish
- avocado diced for optional garnish
- Prepare couscous according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a small bowl or cup, combine garlic, chili powder and Worcestershire sauce; set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet with a tight-fitting lid over medium heat; add onion, bell pepper and carrot and sauté until onion is translucent. Add garlic mixture; cook and stir for 3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, beans, basil, cumin and cayenne pepper. Reduce skillet heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Salt to taste then serve chili over hot couscous.
- Garnish with minced onion, shredded Cheddar cheese and diced avocado, as desired.
SERVING SUGGESTION: A big salad and some warm buttered corn muffins. VEGETARIAN: Use vegetarian Worcestershire sauce. KOSHER: Use vegetarian Worcestershire sauce. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure Worcestershire sauce, tomato sauce and beans are gluten free. Use gluten free couscous. NUTRITION per serving: 522 Calories; 4g Fat; 21g Protein; 102g Carbohydrate; 16g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 992mg Sodium. Exchanges: 6 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 2 Vegetable; 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates. Points: 13
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!