Vegetable and Lentil Stew
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups dry lentils
- 5 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup chopped zucchini
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow squash
- 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup quartered mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil over medium-high heat in a large sauce pan with a tight-fitting lid; add onion, bell pepper and carrot and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add garlic and tomato paste and stir for 1 minute. Add lentils and broth; bring mixture to a boil then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients; cover and simmer for 10 more minutes.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve whole grain rolls and butter on the side; add sliced pears drizzled with honey. VEGETARIAN: No changes necessary. KOSHER: No changes necessary. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure tomato paste and broth are gluten free. NUTRITION: Per Serving: 327 Calories; 5g Fat; 28g Protein; 45g Carbohydrate; 24g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 518mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 1/2 Grain(Starch); 2 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 1 Fat. Points: 7
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!