Tortilla Stew with Fish
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic pressed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes or to taste
- 1 14.5-oz.can low sodium chicken broth
- 1 14.5-oz. can whole tomatoes coarsely chopped
- 1 cup frozen whole kernel corn
- 6 5-oz. firm white fish fresh or frozen, your choice
- cilantro chopped for garnish
- Baked tortilla chips crushed for garnish
- Melt the butter in a large skillet with a tight-fitting lid over medium heat; add onion and garlic and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes or until soft.
- Add oregano, cumin and crushed red pepper flakes; sauté for 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in broth, tomatoes and tomato liquid; bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Add corn; stir.
- Arrange fish fillets over broth mixture and spoon some liquid over the top; cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork.
- To serve: Set each fillet in a large soup bowl; spoon broth around it; sprinkle with chopped cilantro and garnish with tortilla strips.
NUTRITION per serving: 205 Calories; 4g Fat; 30g Protein; 12g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 69mg Cholesterol; 227mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 3 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 1/2 Fat. Points: 5 SERVING SUGGESTION: A relish tray of baby carrots, cherry tomatoes, cucumber spears, jicama sticks and whole black olives. VEGETARIAN: Use tofu instead of fish and use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth. KOSHER: Use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure broth and tomatoes are gluten free. Use gluten free tortilla chips.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!