Smothered Hamburger Steaks
- 1 1/2 pounds 95% lean ground beef
- 3/4 cup water
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup dry bread crumbs
- olive oil
- 3 medium onions sliced
- 1 14.5-oz. can low sodium beef broth divided
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- In a medium bowl, combine ground beef, water, salt, pepper and bread crumbs; mold mixture into 6 large patties.
- Lightly coat olive oil in a large skillet with a tight-fitting lid over medium-high heat; add beef patties; brown on one side then turn and add sliced onions; brown patties lightly on the other side.
- In a cup, blend the cornstarch into about 1/4 cup of the broth; add mixture to the skillet along with the remaining broth; stir well.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 40 minutes.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Mashed russet potatoes, steamed broccoli spears and steamed baby carrots. VEGETARIAN: Use TVP crumbles instead of ground beef and use vegetable broth instead of beef broth. KOSHER: Make sure ground beef is certified kosher. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure broth is gluten free. Use gluten free bread crumbs or make your own from gluten free bread. Substitute arrowroot starch for cornstarch. NUTRITION: Per serving: 354 Calories; 3g Fat; 15g Protein; 12g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 31mg Cholesterol; 128mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 0 Fat. Points: 3
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!