Slow Cooked Artichoke Chicken
- 1 large whole chicken insides removed
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon chopped thyme
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 2 large artichokes chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground sage
- In a large crock cooker, place the chicken.
- In a small bowl, mix the next 5 ingredients (garlic through cumin).
- Loosen the skin on the chicken with fingertips and rub the coconut oil mixture under the skin.
- In a large bowl, mix the chicken broth, artichokes and sage and pour over the chicken. Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours, until chicken is extremely tender and falling off the bone. Allow chicken to cool, remove meat from bone and serve.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Steamed asparagus and faux-tay-toes (steam cauliflower till tender; drain; mash with ghee, salt and pepper to taste till you get a mashed potatoes texture). NUTRITION: 599 Calories; 42g Fat (63.4% calories from fat); 46g Protein; 8g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 211mg Cholesterol; 258mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain (Starch); 6 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 4 1/2 Fat.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!