Red Beans and Rice
- 4 cups hot cooked brown rice
- olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 cloves garlic pressed
- 30 ounces red beans drained and rinsed or homemade
- 1/2 pound fully cooked smoked sausage cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 8-oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- sliced green onions optional garnish
- Prepare brown rice according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, heat a Dutch oven coated with a little olive oil over medium-high heat until hot. Add onion, celery, bell pepper and garlic; cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add red beans, sausage, tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, ground red pepper and hot pepper sauce. Cook, stirring constantly, for 2 to 3 minutes or until heated through.
- Serve beans over hot rice. Top with green onions and serve with additional hot pepper sauce, if desired.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve braised kale on the side. VEGETARIAN: Use soy sausage or skip it completely. Use vegetarian Worcestershire sauce. KOSHER: Use kosher sausage or skip it completely. Use vegetarian Worcestershire sauce. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure beans, sausage, tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce and hot pepper sauce are gluten free. NUTRITION: Per Serving: 412 Calories; 13g Fat; 16g Protein; 58g Carbohydrate; 8g Dietary Fiber; 27mg Cholesterol; 1102mg Sodium. Exchanges: 3 Grain(Starch); 1 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates. Points: 10
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!