Pasta Clam Vegetable Chowder
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni or use another small pasta shape
- 4 cups milk divided
- 2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 3 cups chopped fresh vegetables such as: zucchini, yellow squash, carrots
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 6-oz. cans clams drained
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Prepare pasta according to package directions; drain then rinse under cold water until cool; drain again.
- In a 2-quart saucepan, combine 2 1/2 cups of milk, the broth, vegetables, thyme, paprika and cooked pasta; bring to a light simmer (don't let it boil hard or the milk will separate!).
- In a small bowl or cup, combine remaining 1/2 cup of milk with the cornstarch; stir mixture into the soup and bring to a simmer. Add clams; simmer, stirring frequently, for 3 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot.
SERVING SUGGESTION: A relish tray of carrot and celery sticks, cherry tomatoes and whole black olives; add some whole grain rolls and butter. VEGETARIAN: Omit clams and double the veggies. KOSHER: Omit clams – double the veggies OR use chopped cooked chicken. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure broth and clams are gluten free. Use gluten free pasta. Substitute cornstarch with arrowroot starch. NUTRITION: Per Serving: 257 Calories; 6g Fat; 20g Protein; 30g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 41mg Cholesterol; 326mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 1 1/2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 1/2 Non-Fat Milk; 1 Fat. Points: 6
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!