Italian Spaghetti Squash Pie
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- 1/2 pound 95% lean ground beef
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic pressed
- 1 28-oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 5 ounces low fat ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 1/3 cup shredded part-skim Mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Halve the squash lengthwise; scoop out the seeds and place it in a large baking dish, cut sides down; prick the skin all over with a fork. Bake until tender, 30 to 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet over medium-high heat, cook ground beef until browned, about 5 minutes; drain, remove from skillet and set aside.
- In the same skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat; add onion and garlic and sauté until onion is tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and Italian seasoning. Bring mixture to a boil then reduce heat, add cooked ground beef and simmer, stirring often, until mixture reaches desired consistency, about 5 minutes. Place Ricotta and egg substitute in a food processor or blender; puree until smooth. Coat a 9-inch glass pie plate with a little olive oil. Remove squash from oven and raise oven temperature to 375 degrees. Using a fork, carefully scrape the stringy squash pulp from the shell, separating it into spaghetti-like strands. Arrange spaghetti squash strands on the bottom and up the sides of the pie plate to form a crust.
- Add Ricotta cheese mixture and gently spread over the squash. Pour tomato-ground beef sauce over the cheese mixture then sprinkle with the Mozzarella. Bake for 20 minutes. Allow the pie to stand for 5 minutes before slicing into 6 servings.
NUTRITION per serving: 190 Calories; 4g Fat; 11g Protein; 10g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 23mg Cholesterol; 188mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 1 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fat. Points: 3 LC SERVING SUGGESTION: A big green salad. SERVING SUGGESTION: Add some garlic toast. KOSHER: Make sure beef is certified kosher. Instead of Ricotta cheese, combine some tofu with a few teaspoons of lemon juice. Skip the Mozzarella or use your favorite shredded soy cheese. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure canned tomatoes and Italian seasoning are gluten free.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!