Herbed Chicken and Veggies
- 12 ounces mushrooms halved
- 1 1/2 cups frozen pearl onions
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth divided
- 1/3 cup dry red wine or use red grape juice with a splash of cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon dried rosemary crushed
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme crushed
- 1/3 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 small chicken legs skinned, drumsticks and thighs
- 2 tablespoons flour
- In a slow cooker, combine mushrooms and pearl onions.
- Stir in 3/4 cup of broth and next 7 ingredients (wine through bay leaf); add chicken legs. Cover and cook on LOW for 7 to 8 hours or on HIGH for 3 1/2 to 4 hours.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer chicken and vegetables to a serving platter and keep warm. Discard bay leaf.
- Prepare sauce: Skim fat from cooking liquid. Measure 2 cups of cooking liquid (adding water if necessary to equal the 2 cups); transfer to a medium saucepan. In a small bowl, combine remaining broth and flour to a smooth paste (no lumps!); stir into the liquid in the saucepan and cook over medium heat until thickened and bubbly; cook and stir for 1 minute more. Serve sauce over chicken.
LC SERVING SUGGESTION: Steamed broccoli spears and a big green salad. SERVING SUGGESTION: Add buttered corn on the cob. KOSHER: No changes necessary. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure broth, wine (or juice/vinegar) and tomato paste are gluten free. Use gluten free flour. NUTRITION: per serving: 276 Calories; 7g Fat; 40g Protein; 10g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 143mg Cholesterol; 575mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain (Starch); 5 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates. Points: 6
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!