Caramelized Onion, Spinach and Bacon Quiche
- 1 10-oz. can refrigerated pizza crust or use homemade pizza dough
- olive oil
- 1 10-oz. package frozen chopped spinach thawed, drained and squeezed dry
- 1/4 cup low fat sour cream
- 1 cup evaporated skim milk
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup Caramelized Onions about 3 cups sliced, uncooked - see Do-Ahead Tip
- 1/3 cup chopped Canadian bacon cooked, optional
- 1/4 cup shredded low fat Cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Shape pizza dough into a 4-inch circle; cover and let stand for 5 minutes then roll into an 11-inch circle on a lightly floured surface. Fit the dough into a 9-inch pie plate lightly coated with olive oil; flute the edges. In a small bowl, combine spinach and sour cream.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together evaporated skim milk, salt, pepper and eggs. Stir 1/3 cup of milk/egg mixture into the spinach mixture then spoon the milk/egg/spinach mixture on the prepared crust.
- Add the caramelized onions and top with the bacon and cheese. Pour remaining milk/egg mixture over the cheese. Place the pie plate on a baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes or until set.
- Allow quiche to stand for 10 minutes before cutting into wedges.
SERVING SUGGESTION: A big salad of baby spinach, sliced red onion, red apple and chopped walnuts tossed with honey-mustard dressing. VEGETARIAN: Omit the bacon. KOSHER: Use soy bacon if desired, or just skip it. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure bacon is gluten free. Use gluten free pizza crust. NUTRITION: Per Serving: 236 Calories; 5g Fat; 13g Protein; 35g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 111mg Cholesterol; 193mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 1/2 Non-Fat Milk; 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates. Points: 6
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!