Meat Crock Loaf
- 6 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 small egg beaten
- 1/2 chopped onion
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper seeded, de-ribbed and chopped
- 1/4 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 clove garlic pressed
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 pound extra lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Aluminum foil
- In a small bowl, combine tomato sauce and Italian seasoning; reserve 1/3 cup and set aside covered in refrigerator.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine remaining tomato sauce mixture with egg, onion, bell pepper, breadcrumbs, garlic and salt and pepper; blend well, then add ground beef and blend well again. together.
- Take 2 strips of aluminum foil, each about 15 inches long, and form an "x"; place in slow cooker.
- On a cutting board, form meat mixture into a round and place on top of the foil strips, being careful to NOT let the meatloaf touch the sides of the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low heat setting for 8 to 10 hours or on high setting for 4 to 5 hours.
- During last 10 minutes of cooking time, pour reserved tomato sauce on top of meatloaf and sprinkle with Mozzarella cheese. Cover and cook for the remaining 10 minutes.
- Using the foil strips, slowly and carefully pull the meatloaf from the slow cooker onto a serving plate; gently pull foil strips from under meatloaf. Allow meatloaf to rest for about 10 minutes before slicing.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Spaghetti squash tossed with grated Parmesan cheese; add a big green salad tossed with a little olive oil and balsamic vinegar. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure bread crumbs are gluten free. NUTRITION: 259 Calories; 16g Fat; 19g Protein; 9g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 92mg Cholesterol; 417mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain (Starch); 2 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 2 Fat.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!